On-Page optimization is very important if you want to rank your domain higher in the search results. It is a method to optimize your website and adhere to the Google guidelines to get better rankings. This will help to draw more traffic to your website.
You can combine on-page SEO with technical SEO and off-page SEO to get the best results.
Here are a few On-page SEO tip and techniques which you can use to improve your rankings:
1. Even a second delay in loading your website can lead to a fall in conversions so you should speed up your site. Use tools like Google PageSpeed Insights to test the performance of your page.
2. Your website has to be discovered, crawled and indexed by the search engine. You should check the robots.txt file for any important pages that may have been mistakenly blocked. Google Webmaster is a tool which can be used to keep tabs. You should also block files and folders which are not meant for visitors using robots.txt file. This way only important sections would be indexed and discovered by Google and users.
3. Mobile devices have become very popular so you should optimize your website for the desktop as well as mobile. You should use a mobile responsive web design. You can do a Google Mobile-friendly test to find out how responsive your site design is.
4. The title tag is the first thing the user sees in the Google search results. You should place your primary keyword close to the title tags. Meta descriptions also should be clear, concise, relevant and well written. The headings and the subheadings in your posts should have the H1 and H2 HTML tags respectively. Your post should have only one H1 tag and you should include your primary keyword in it. Try to use a number in your title tag as it can help to boost your clicks in search.
5. If your site includes images, videos and infographics then they should be optimized to suit your web traffic needs and rankings. Important keywords should be made a part of the video descriptions and all images should have alt text. Also you must try to save your images with proper descriptive names for e.g. use product name, category name etc. You should use professional fonts for your website.
6. To achieve search rankings, doing keyword research is a must. You can use Google Keyword Planner to conduct a thorough research on the search queries popular in your domain. You should also focus on ranking for long-tail keywords. Latent Semantic indexing (LSI) keywords should also be considered. These keywords must be use in title tags, mets description tags, content, heading tags etc.
7. One of the most important on-page SEO techniques is to create high-quality content. Your content should be original, offer relevant and accurate information and provide the visitors the solutions they are looking for.
8. You should keep your article post between 1500 to 2000 words long and you should not compromise on uniqueness and relevancy. In the long content you can use the long tail and the LSI keywords naturally. Keyword density is the number of times a keyword and its synonym appear on a web page. It can help to rank a page higher for the keyword in Google.
9. You should create fresh and high quality content. For this you should update your old posts with any new information. Content freshness is a Google ranking factor. There should be no duplicate content.
10. Internal linking is a key factor in determining how accessible your web pages are. Well done internal linking helps the user to access the pages easily for information and search engines will be able to know about your other web pages. You can use breadcrumbs to help the user to switch to the home page from the current page.
11. Use schema markup for every web page that you want to use to generate more traffic for or the ones with enough relevant information which can be shown in the search results. Schema tags are used to enhance your listings in Google search and its helps to boost clicks.
12. Your content should be readable and simple so that it is helpful for any layman. This can be helpful in increasing traffic to your website. Using a conversational tone addressing all the possible questions a user might have will help a lot.
13. Provide descriptions for all your images on your web page as this will not only serve the visually impared but also help the search engines determine the intent of the image. Use alt tags for this. Google Images indexes the images based on the alt tag descriptions. Using them can help to increase the organic traffic to your website.
14. Using a short URL is an on-page SEO best practice. The URLs should have a well laid out structure, lowercase letters and hyphens. Use descriptive words for the URLs and include the primary keyword close to the beginning of the URL. You should use a www or a non-www site URL. According to the on-page SEO standpoint you should use any one and redirect the other.
15. A high click-through-rate for your web pages means that the users are finding your content worth reading. If you share content that gets shared on social media then the chances of someone linking from a high authority site may increase. Make sure to include social sharing buttons on all your impactful articles that you post on your website.
16. The three parameters used by raters to assess websites on Google are Expertise, Authoritativeness and Trustworthiness (EAT). Your content should display Expertise in presentation, be Authoritative in suggestions and it should be Trustworthy. You should create an EAT SEO guide for your content strategy.
17. If your website has multiple pages that are ranked for the same keyword then the web pages will end up competing with each other to rank higher. This is called keyword cannibalization. This can confuse the crawlers and also drive down your ranking. Avoiding keyword cannibalization should be the top priority of your on-page SEO.
18. Old web pages with poor content can drive down website traffic and so you should conduct regular content audits. Doing audits will help a website understand what kind of ROI your content is generating and plan future SEO strategies. You should fix all your broken links.
19. Satisfying the search intent is Google’s top most priority and therefore the content should match the search intent of the target keywords. Search intent can be navigational, informational, commercial and transactional.
20. To make sure that the users stay and interact with your content you should use SEO techniques like content optimization, internal linking, external linking and site speed optimization. Use Google Search Console to monitor your website performance.