Whenever people need products or services the first thing they do is search online. Websites have become a medium of instruction between companies and customers. Once you make a website your responsibilities are not over you should regularly monitor your website.
Website maintenance should be done regularly to detect all the bugs, errors, and other issues. Website maintenance helps to keep your website up-to-date, reliable, fast and secure. These are useful tips for website maintenance that you can follow to make your maintenance process easier. You can also hire web maintenance services.
Website maintenance tips
- You should create a website maintenance plan and follow it. If your website gets a lot of traffic and changes are made daily then you should monitor it frequently like twice a week or every day. If your website gets less traffic then you can monitor your website weekly or monthly.
If you are not sure how frequently you should monitor your website then you should monitor it at least once a month to ensure proper functioning.
- SEO helps to rank your website higher but it also helps you to maintain a healthy website. You can employ an SEO team or work with an SEO agency to do the monitoring. Monitor your website analytics every one or two days to know the statistics about the visitors and goal conversions.
- Content updates are good for SEO as Google prioritises websites that are regularly updated. Providing relevant new and fresh content regularly can make your website a favourite with the target audience. Therefore you should create content that offers valuable information and solves the audience's pain points.
- There are commonly used browsers like Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and more. You should continuously check for other browser compatibility for your website. Your website design should be perfect for all browsers.
- You need to check for broken links regularly and fix them as they can get a bad reputation for your website. You should do a routine check and remove the unwanted links.
- To measure the loading time of your web pages you can use tools like PageSpeed Insights, Yahoo! YSlow and more. You can reduce the number of graphics on your pages to improve the speed of your website.
- Customer feedback can give you valuable information about your products and services. You should allow your users to write comments, feedback, trackbacks, suggestions and more. Your customers may tell you about the errors, improvements to make and bugs in your website design. You can use this information for improvements.
- Set goals for your website so that you will know which areas to focus on. If you want to improve your traffic then you will have to focus on SEO and website design. If you need more leads then you will have to focus on content and marketing. Measure your results to make sure you are working in the right direction.
- Make your website search engine friendly by optimising the meta titles and descriptions, title tags and more. Make a well-structured, W3C-compliant and pixel-perfect website so that it is search engine friendly.
- Choose the right web hosting provider to make your website free from any performance drops.
- Review your audience from time to time to know if their preferences and online behaviour have changed. This will help you decide which plug-in, features and themes to use for your website.
- As you update your website you should also update your legal terms and conditions. Laws and regulations change from time to time and therefore these pages should also be updated.