International SEO helps you to optimise your website for people in different countries speaking different languages. The two types of SEO are multilingual SEO and multiregional SEO.
Multilingual SEO helps to get traffic from multiple languages. Multiregional SEO targets people from several regions. It targets people in different countries speaking the same language.
If your website attracts foreign visitors then it would be better to optimise your website using international SEO strategies. International SEO helps to improve your reach and this will improve your brand awareness. This will give more leads and conversions.
If you are a local business and want to expand then international SEO can help you to tab international customers. Users from other countries will start visiting your website and learning about your products and services. You can find international SEO services to help you out.
Implementing International SEO
- You should find out your website’s potential for the various international markets. You can start by evaluating your present international organic results for visibility, traffic and conversions. There are two reasons to do international SEO. One is that it will help you expand your business globally and the second is it will help you to get international visitors.
You should identify the countries where your website is doing well and the languages that are bringing organic traffic. Use Google Analytics to identify your top international markets and understand the trends and behaviour of your audiences.
- Once you have identified your markets you need to find the right keywords. Do keyword research to find the words and phrases your audience uses to find you. Use tools like Ahrefs, Google Keyword Planner or SimilarWeb and get data for the keywords. Check their organic search volume and rankings and identify your target keywords.
If you want to focus on multilingual SEO, then translating the English keyword is not the solution. You will have to understand what keywords the native people use in their searches. You will have to do the same if you are doing multiregional SEO.
- You should do competition research to get information about your rival’s performance. You can find their keywords, strengths and weaknesses and how they source their backlinks. Also, find out if they are using other search engines that may be popular in the target markets.
- You have to decide whether you want to target the language or the country.
You can increase your audience base by targeting the most popular languages in the world. When you target languages you can translate the content. Machine translation is cost-effective and fast but you should use a human translator as he/she can come up with the keywords that suit the needs and the habits of the target audience.
If you are targeting multiple countries with one language then check for linguistic and cultural variations.
- Whether you are targeting a language or a region You will have to optimise your URL structure. The three options are:
- Country Code Top Level domains (ccTLDs)
This helps to tell the search engines about the country or the audience your website is targeting. For example, www.websitename.uk. Large brands can maintain separate websites for separate countries.
Subdirectories are easy to set up and maintain. You just have to create a subfolder within your root domain. For example, www.websitename.com/uk/.
Subdomains use a generic top-level domain (gTLD). You will have to create a separate website for each country. For example, www.uk.websitename.com.
- One of the geo-targetting tools is the ‘Hreflang’ tags. Its function is to strengthen the local signals of your content so that search engines can find you easily. When you have a website content in multiple languages you should use this tag. They help search engines identify the language of your content.
- If you want to target diversified international visitors then you need to localise and optimise the content. You will have to find the individual interests of your audiences and based on it form strategies for your content.
- When you localise your content you get a chance to earn backlinks. Link building will help you get higher search rankings and promote your brand.