Business-to-Business (B2B) industries are manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors and technological services. B2B SEO varies slightly as customers look for solutions for their business problems with your products or services.
The B2B sales cycle is slightly complex. It involves a buying team that makes the purchasing decision. B2B SEO focuses on creating content that answers the B2B buyer's research questions and builds trust.
There are three phases in a B2B buyer’s journey: Awareness phase, Consideration phase and Decision phase.
In the awareness phase, the buyer has a business pain for which a solution is required. You should create relevant and top-quality content that answers questions related to the pain point. You can create blogs, videos, whitepapers, industry-specific landing pages or case studies.
In the consideration phase, the buyer will understand the issue he/she is facing and is ready to find solutions for it. Here the buyer is considering solutions therefore your content should rank in the search results. At this stage, you need value-based content like analyst reports, webinars, ROI calculations, reviews, case studies, blogs and whitepapers.
In the decision phase, the buyer has done all the research and you may have answered the buyer’s questions. The buyer may decide to contact your sales team. You should create content like demos, case studies, whitepapers, analyst reports and blogs.
The three main areas of B2B SEO are on-page SEO, off-page SEO and technical SEO.
B2B SEO strategies
- Keyword research in B2B SEO starts with first understanding the target audience. What the target audience searches for and what content do they consume at the different stages of the buying journey? Use tools like SEMrush, Ahref’s and more to find your keywords.
You can also use the Google Autocomplete feature. When you type in a search query Google tries to complete it automatically. This tells you what the other people are searching for. This feature can be very helpful to you.
At the end of the search results, Google displays the list of keywords related to the current search query. You can use these keywords to improve your list of keywords.
- Once you have your list of keywords you will have to create titles for the blogs your target audience is looking for. For this, you can use tools like ‘Answer The Public’. You just have to enter the broad-based keyword and the tool will generate long-tail keywords based on questions.
- The goal of SEO is to rank your pages higher in the search results. You should create high-quality content that answers the user's questions or demands. You should optimise your page titles and URLs should have the subject of the content.
- You should create long-form content as they do well for competitive keywords. The long pieces of content include all the details and are of high quality.
- Build quality backlinks to your website from trusted sources in your industry. Find out which websites are authorities in your niche and build a meaningful relationship with them and ask for links to increase your level of authority. You can ask your vendors to link to your content or try event marketing to get valuable links.
- Perform technical SEO for your website and see that all the technical aspects of your website are correct. You will have to make your website easy to crawl and decide which pages of your website have to be crawled. Create a sitemap of your website and also an image sitemap.
- Other things to look into are the structured data, mobile-friendliness, HTTPS status, page speed, indexation and website structure.