6 Tips for Travel Website SEO
More and more people are researching, comparing and booking their vacations online. Your website may be incredible but it should appear prominently in the search results for people to find it.
You should implement SEO as a part of your marketing strategy if you want to compete with other businesses.
For optimal results, you will require SEO experts but you can start by following these best practices:
1. Most customers use mobile devices to get information about their vacation destinations. More than half of mobile users are comfortable searching, booking and planning their vacations using their devices. Your travel website should be mobile-friendly as this will help you to rank higher on mobile and desktop devices. You will have a better chance of keeping people on your website longer. Your website should use a responsive design and be 100% mobile-friendly.
2. Backlinks from reputable and high-authority websites will help to improve your ranking on Google. Make sure you get backlinks from websites that are relevant to your industry. For example, you can get backlinks from travel directories, review sites, tourism bureaus, chambers of commerce and travel publishers.
3. Review your keywords and if they are general keywords then they will be very competitive. You should find a specific keyword combination that does not have much competition. This will help to improve your visibility online. Identify your long-tail and transactional keywords.
Along with your general keywords also use your long-tail keywords which are more exact to the ones people use when looking for a specific service you are offering. Keyword research helps you to find the keywords that will best serve your SEO purposes.
The steps involved in keyword research are as follows:
- Brainstorm depending on what you know about your target customers and the search terms they mostly use.
- Use tools like keyword planner in Google AdWords or SEMrush to find your keywords.
- Use a competitive analysis tool like Moz SERP to find out how challenging it will be to rank for the target keywords.
4. If you organise tours to multiple locations, you can create dedicated pages for the individual locales where you offer tours. This will allow you to use your keywords and phrases more and build- in-depth content around them. The more value Google sees your website deliver to the users the better the search rankings you will be able to achieve.
5. A website with good photos of beautiful getaways will get more traffic if the images are optimised for SEO. Make your filename unique and descriptive and use keywords in them. Alt-text is used to describe the content of an image, use Alt-text with all your images. Alt-text also impacts the accessibility of your website to the visually impaired.
You can improve your SEO by reducing the file sizes of your images. If you use large images then this will cause your website to load slowly. This should be avoided as page load speed is a ranking factor in Google. Most visitors will leave the website if it does not load within three seconds.
6. According to the Moz Local Search Ranking Factors survey, online reviews are one of the top 10 factors that can influence local search results. Just having a presence on review sites like Yelp, Facebook, City search and Google My Business is not enough, you need positive reviews to stand out from the competition. The first impression can lead to someone visiting your website to learn more and explore other options.