The spam score of your website is the percentage of the spammy sites and the penalised sites that are linking to your website. If the spam score of your website is high then it will lead to many disadvantages.
A high spam score does not mean that your website is spam, the score only shows the percentage of the penalised website connected to your website. It is advisable to have a low spam score.
You can use the Moz toolbar to find out your website’s spam score. Spam Score is a metric developed by Moz and it is not used in Google algorithms.
If a website has a high number of backlinks and also a spam score then it may lead to negative SEO.
To reduce your spam score you will need to first find all the links pointing to your website by using tools like Moz, Ahrefs and more. These tools will give you a breakdown of the type of links pointing to your website.
These are ways you can reduce your spam score:
1. A spammy score will help you to find out if your subdomain is spammy. If it is then you can rectify the spam. Having a spammy subdomain will not allow your website to be optimally listed in the search results.
2. You should check whether the backlinks pointing to your website are of high quality. Ensure that the website linking to yours are authority pages that the search engine has deemed as trustworthy.
3. Having spammy backlinks on your website can negatively impact your rankings. If you do not have control over spammy links, you can use Google’s Disavow tool to remove them.
Factors that cause a spam score
The 19 different factors that cause a spam score are as follows:
1. Moz uses the metrics MozTrust & MozRank to determine how trustworthy a website is. If a website has a lower MozTrust score than the MozRank score then it is considered to be spammy.
2. If a website has a lot of pages and too few links then it indicates that the content of those pages has no real value. This tells the search engines that the pages are not worth linking to and the website could be considered spam.
3. If a site has a low link diversity then it is considered to be spammy. For example, if a site has 400 inbound links from 4 (few) linking domains then it has a low link diversity.
4. You should use a balanced ratio of the different types of anchor text so that your links are well optimised. You should develop backlinks for anchor text that you want to rank for.
5. You should create top-quality content which is in-depth and reliable. If your website is of low quality and has copied content then it will get marked as spam.
6. Websites with little markups like basic HTML, poor structure, pages with a little formatting and low-quality graphics are a sign of spam.
7. Internal links help the users stay longer on the website and offer a meaningful experience to them. Sites with a low number of internal links will get marked as spam.
8. If there are a lot of external links on the navigation menu then they can be mistaken to be pure advertising. Their spam score will be high.
9. All reputable sites have contact info and the visitors should be able to correspond with the administrator. If your website does not have contact info like email, physical address and social media profile then it may get marked as spam.
10. Sites that have too few pages are considered spam. You need not create hundreds of pages but your pages should have valuable and meaningful content.
11. Domain names should be short and simple. Too long, Domain names could be considered spammy.
12. You should keep your domain name limited to the English alphabet to avoid the risk of looking spammy. If your domain name has numerals then it may get flagged for Moz spam score.
13. When you use hyphens in the domain name it is difficult to pronounce and type out and also spammy sites tend to use multiple hyphens.
14. If a website is created on a top-level domain that has a reputation for creating spam sites then it will have a high spam score.
15. Google Tag Manager is a free tool provided by Google to help you manage your marketing tags. Spammy sites tend not to have Google Tag Manager on them.
16. If a website has HTTPS then it means it is SSL certified and it is safe and secure.
17. Sites that contain too many meta keyword tags tend to be nearly spammy.
18. Meta descriptions should be 155 - 160 characters long. Spammy sites usually write long meta descriptions.
19. Spammy sites use words that are closely associated with adult content, gaming, casino sites and more. You should avoid using such words on your website.