Magento has become a leading ecommerce platform and you can use it to build your online store. Magento 2 has become more popular due to its Magento SEO features.
Here are Magento SEO tips you can follow to get more traffic to your store:
1. Upgrade to the latest version of Magento to develop your website. You should migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2.
2. When custom fields are left blank in Magento, the system starts taking default values. The first thing to do while building a store is to change the default settings for meta titles and meta descriptions for the product and the category pages.
3. Use URLs that are descriptive, easy-to-read and in lowercase. Magento adds the store code to the site URL by default. When you browse it shows the code in the URL. You should make your URLs search-friendly by making the Add Store Code option to ‘No’ and the URL Rewrites option to ‘Yes’. Clear URLs make it easy for the users and the search engine to know what the page is about.
4. Optimize product descriptions and images. Product descriptions should be unique and have relevant keywords. All images should have Alt- text as it shows up even if the image is not loaded properly. Search engines decide what the image is based on the text as they cannot understand content in the images.
5. Create unique content to rank higher in the search results. If you have duplicate content then search engine crawlers may take it as copied content. Use canonical tags to solve duplicate content problems. By using them you can redirect Google to your authentic pages that are most important for the users.
6. Google is modifying its search engine algorithm to be user centric and the websites with better reviews will be shown on the top. Pages with the customer’s reviews will increase the likelihood of conversions. Customer ratings and reviews are important for SEO. You should provide a good experience to your users to get good feedback.
7. Use catchy meta titles and meta descriptions that have keywords for better on-page optimization. You can use smart defaults which can be overwritten when needed.
8. In Magento 2 XML sitemap can be created automatically but it does not allow you to include or exclude objects. You can configure the priority of the web pages, how often they are updated and how often the site map should be updated.
9. You can tell the crawlers which of the pages to focus on and which ones to ignore. You can do it through the Robot.txt file. Magento 2 allows you to modify the website’s Robot.txt file.
11. Site speed is a key metric of SEO. You should optimize your site speed by using a fast web host, updating Magento themes and plugins, lower the number of queries, enable caching, go for a good quality CDN to deliver content to different geographic locations and choose a managed Magento hosting if required.
12. Build internal links between the pages, posts and the content on your website. Internal links are important for SEO. Magento offers features to optimize your internal links like adding related products, up-sell products and cross-sell products.
13. Choose between the www or non-www versions for your URL. Magento adds a SID query to your URLs if you do not create a 301 redirect.
14. Rich snippets get a higher click-through-rate so you should structure your data for rich snippets. You can use formats like Schema for markup.
15. If the pages contain out of stock products then you should leave them as they are. You should inform the visitors when it will be back by updating the content.
16. Magento by default will have a title when you install. Title is the name of your company so you should change this default title for SEO.
17. Traffic comes through mobile devices too so you should make your store mobile-friendly. You should use a responsive web design and have a Progressive Web Application (PWA). PWA can help stores to look and behave like an app.
18. Use a good heading structure as it will help the visitors to scan a page quickly and search engines to understand the structure. Build the structure using a logical hierarchy.
19. You should use HTTPS for your ecommerce store and Magento supports this.
20. Faceted navigation is how the visitors search through your products. You should use product filters and create a subcategory for a subset of products. This way you can reach a larger audience.