B2B means businesses buy and sell goods and services from one another. B2B SEO targets a different audience which is the other businesses rather than consumers.
B2B SEO is a series of optimisation done to achieve visibility, relevance and accessibility. Another purpose is to drive more traffic to the B2B website.
B2B involves more decision-makers before deciding on a purchase. The different decision-makers can be managers, staff and finance directors and more. They all will have a different search intent. So you will have to create different buyer personas and create a content strategy for these different roles.
The number of buyers for B2B services/products will be much less as the products/services are of a higher price range, the sales cycle is long and more decision-makers are involved. The content should not be created to directly convert the customers but to educate the users about the products/services. This does not mean that conversion intent should be neglected.
The B2B SEO is much smaller so you should target high-value, hyper-targeted and low-volume keywords. For B2B SEO quality is more important than quantity.
These are the tips for building a B2B SEO strategy:
1. Begin with proper keyword research. Find the keywords that are relevant and popular with your target audience. Find keywords relevant to your brand and the products/services. Use tools like SEMrush, SpyFu and Ahrefs for keyword research.
2. B2B SEO is all about the content you create. To rank higher you will have to create high-quality and relevant content. The focus should be on how to provide value to your target audience with the content and not pleasing Google alone.
Enter the targeted keyword in Google and find the top-ranking content. You should try to create better content than your competitors.
You should provide valuable information to your users and use the target keyword throughout the content. You can add images, videos and infographics to keep your users engaged.
Use inbound and outbound links where ever required. Link your content internally to maintain a healthy internal structure of your website.
You can create topic clusters, pillar pages and cluster pages which link back to the pillar pages.
3. You should do on-site technical SEO. Add the main keyword in your content, page titles, meta description and URL.
The speed of your website should be good. Your website should not take more than 3 seconds to load otherwise the visitors will abandon it.
Your website must be mobile-friendly and if it is not then it may increase the bounce rate.
Make sure that your website uses HTTPS (SSL) certification. If you do not use this then Google may brand your site as insecure.
Fix all crawl errors so that your website can be indexed.
Use structure data to help Google understand the different elements on your website.
4. Backlinks are the most important ranking signals for B2B websites. You should try to get high-quality backlinks from known sites in your niche.
You should create unique and informative content like research reports and statistics.
Use beautiful images and photos and infographics in your content. Offer real engaging stories and actionable tips which are not available anywhere else. Due to this, people may link naturally to your content.
You should promote your content so that it reaches the audience. You can use social channels, guest posting and outreach to promote your content.
You can use tools like snov.io to do an email address search of your target audience and create email campaigns.
5. Understand the business sales funnel works. For this, you can find the company’s sales data and find out how the companies reach your business and become customers. You will get information like the average time to purchase, average customer retention period, lifetime value of a customer and the reasons for customer leaving.
6. Ceate useful landing pages that answer the user's questions. The content should be readable and contain separate sections, use visuals and a clear CTA. The landing page should be a hub for content that can be used to generate leads.
7. Understand the intent of the user through research, buyer personas and by using the latest analytical tools like Semrush and Ahrefs. Find the keywords you already rank for and focus on them. Find your competitor's keywords and try to outrank your competitor. Group your keywords by the search intent and create useful content. Consider the keyword difficulty metric before creating content. For B2B website relevance is more important than volume.
8. Create content that is better than your competitor. Or you can be different and cover the topic from a different angle.
9.Do technical SEO for your website and make sure your website can be indexed.
10. Make sure a number of the relevant websites link to yours. If you create valuable content and promote it then you will be able to earn valuable backlinks.